Eldest (Inheritance, Book 2) Review

Eldest (Inheritance, Book 2)
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
This review mostly goes to Spencer Bauer or "Zmoney" who has reviewed before me. He's a moron.
Before you start complaining about the critics of this book, I highly reccomend that you get your facts straight. You claim that only a few of the names were ripped-off from the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. Let me start with LOTR:
miladris-Imladris
Vanilor-Valinor
Ardwen-Arwen
Ceranthor-Caranthir
Bierland-Beleriand
Narda-Varda
Isenstar-Isengaurd
Melian-Melian
Mithrim-Mithrim
Isidar-Isildur
Turin-T?rin
I'd say that's more than a few "ZMoney."
As for your review: Don't complain because some people think it was poorly written. It's their opinion and you can't call them stupid for it. At least most of them can put coherent sentences together.
As for the charge of plagiarism: I would say it's a valid complaint. As I just demonstrated, Paolini did in fact copy numerous names from "Lord of the Rings." He also used the line "Two eyes, whenever I can spare them" which is directly out of LOTR. The plot line is ripped from a variety of other stories, which, if you ever read above a second grade level, you will know. For example, "Dragonriders of Pern," comes to mind. Also check out Ursula Le Guin's "Earthsea" series. Paolini's system of magic may become a little more familiar to you and hey! You may even learn something!
As for the story itself. It is very sloppy and it is full of cheap tricks and escapes. Take Eragon's transformation into the elf. Instead of coping with his injury or overcoming his shortcomings as a human being, Paolini merely makes Eragon change into something he is not...a superhuman of sorts. I felt cheated when I read that. That's a good lesson. When the going get's rough change into another person. It discredits everything that happened in "Eragon." It made me sick.
Now take Murtagh. Anyone who didn't realize he was a villain wasn't reading closely enough. The ending was obvious and cliche. I also find it hard to believe that in such a short period of time, even with the help of Galbatorix, that Murtagh could become so powerful. What happened to Eragon? He trained and trained and he even turned into an elf-like creature and he still was no match for Murtagh? Hmmmm.
I also found the themes of vegitarianism and atheism quite annoying. I myself am an atheist but for the love of God, (or no God for that matter), please stop trying to force your opinions on all of us! And the whole vegitarian thing? Eragon 'converts' due to the cruelty against animals but apparently a leather scabbard is no problem for him. Please Paolini. Give me a break. Stop preaching and tell us a story. The book would have been 200 pages shorter if you knew what it was you were talking about. If I wanted to hear that philosophy I would move to San Fransico and join PETA.
The dialogue is ridiculous. Eragon, a poor farm boy, talks as if he's some learned scholar. Everyword that is said is stilted and forced. Half of what is said adds nothing to the plot and Paolini seems to have forgotten the golden rule of writing: "Show, don't tell." Most of the feeble plot is driven by explanatory dialogue. That is very annoying.
I know ask you "ZMoney" what it was about Paolini's world that you found new and refreshing. Was it the system of magic? Nope...that's Le Guin. Was it the dragons? Nope...that's Mcaffery. Was it the places and names? Nope...Tolkien there. There is nothing in the book that is new. It is scraps torn away from other books, thrown in a blender, and set for "cheap bestseller." There is nothing new here. I repeat. There is nothing new.
So "ZMoney," stop complaining about the critcs. If you want to call us stupid, make sure you know what you are talking about. Otherwise you simply look foolish. If you think this is such a great book than enjoy the last in the series. But don't whine about what other's think. I will say this. The plot is cliche. The characters are flimsy. The writing is poor. Get over it...it's my opinion. Oh and by the way I won't "shut up and be GRATFUL" for the language guide. It doesn't make up for a crappy story. I give Paolini credit for trying. He failed but at least he tried. Thank you. Goodnight.

Click Here to see more reviews about: Eldest (Inheritance, Book 2)



Buy NowGet 41% OFF

Click here for more information about Eldest (Inheritance, Book 2)

0 comments:

Post a Comment